Ubuntu and medicine.

This is a quick thought I wanted to write down, I have been thinking it a lot and I want to make it available to anyone else to see it.

A special version of ubuntu (especially with the unity GUI) that allows connectivity for electronic medical record standardization and communication.

I really wish I could spit the words out to explain what I see when I think of this, but most medical equipment is linux based already and all of the applications we utilize are windows applications that have to communicate with linux machines and a lot of automation is nonexistant because of the work involved.

Medbuntu in my fantasy is a cloud based ubuntu distro that allows admins to user-group and give un-editable UI setups for various users.  Login is keyboard or fingerprint (lots of this in hospitals already) with the unity panel containing every application needed by a nurse, respiratory therapist or physician.

I get so excited about this its not even funny.  Who could make money on this?  Whoever the corporation is that has the capital to get it going, Google is a good idea, to establish everything it would take probably 5 years for a small group of programmers to get everything solid, Google could probably convince a small rural hospital system to let them come in and change everything for free to get everything stabilized and then in the case of Google, they could make money somehow based on using HIPAA approved demographics for advertising, or in the case of anyone else, selling support and insurances.

I would even be excited if microsoft created a windows using my concept for streamlining the process.  There is a lot of stuff that looks incredibly unprofessional (start buttons with dialog boxes with no information?, double clicking the clock for the calendar gives you a not-authorized prompt and not to mention IE6 is like ancient but still used by every hospital in the US.)

thats my idea of the night, enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment